Friday, July 6, 2007

Sharm al Sheikh 2004

Sharm al Sheikh is an incredible place. I have this theory that there are three Egypts: Tourist Egypt, mostly in Cairo and at various other touristy places along the Nile; real Egypt, where the Egyptians actually live and work; and the Sinai, where rich Europeans and Arabs go to sunbathe and scuba dive. For a few days, we got to pretend we were rich Europeans or Arabs. Well, not really, but we did get to snorkel. My goodness, I've never seen anything so amazingly cool in my life. The reefs were set up as though they were a forest of miniature plateaus, maybe 30 or 40 feet in diameter with canyons about 20 feet deep and 10 feet or so wide in between them. The reefs themselves were 15 feet or so below the surface, so the bottom was 35 feet or so (give or take - I'm horrible judging distances in the best of times, and underwater without my glasses on are not the best of times.)

The fish swimming around in the reefs were painted with every color of the rainbow. They were every size and shape. I spent most of the time holding my breath as long as I could so I could swim down in the canyons. It felt like another world. I wish we had a camera we could take under water. The pictures would have been marvelous.

No comments: